The following article is Part 1 of a 5 Part Series from our roofing articles library series on How to Shingle a Roof titled, "A Homeowners Guide to Roof Shingle Replacement".
The staff at General Roofing Systems Canada regularly contribute to our roofing article library with knowledge they gain day to day in the field. To request articles online for specific roofing informational requirements contact us here.
For a detailed look at "How to Shingle a Roof" properly with detailed explanations, photos, and videos from the shingle installers on the roof, visit our shingle installers roofing blog.
Make Sure It's Done Right!
Compare our specifications to any quotations you receive.
Shingle Roof Installation Services Provided in Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer, Fort McMurray, Lloydminster, Saskatoon, Regina, SK, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Canmore, AB, Cranbrook, Kelowna, Vancouver, Whistler, BC, Winnipeg, MB, Mississauga, Toronto, ON and points between. British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario.
Homeowner's Guide to Roof Shingle Replacement
There are many ways to remove and install a new shingle roof on your home.
General Roofing Systems Canada installs every type of sloped roofing system for your home from Shingles, Concrete Tile, Slate, Metal, Cedar, Rubber, etc.
How your roof is shingled, the process of replacement by the roofers and the roofing material used does profoundly affect you - the home-owner. Let’s put this in to perspective with another life example. When you buy a new car, would you accept a brand new car with a transmission that needs to be replaced after a month or a year, or seat coverings that tore every time you sat on them, or a CD player that did not work the moment you left the lot? Of course you would not.
- Why do so many home-owners accept a 5, 10, 20 thousand dollar or more roof replacement on their house that performs to the sub standard level of the new car in our example?
- Most homeowners don’t know the difference between a poor, good, or great roof replacement job until it’s too late.
- Also, sadly, most sloped residential roofing installers don’t know what it means to install a roof to the highest roofing standards possible. Which usually is no fault of their own, it’s just that many roofers have never been trained to know any different. Sure, there are roof installation technician’s of poor character, or those that don’t know what they are doing, but in most instances, it is simply a case of not knowing what the highest standard of roof application is.
- And finally, most homeowners, when presented with roof replacement quotes that vary greatly in price, will more often than not choose a roof replacement quote that is low because they naturally think "this shingle is the same as that shingle, so it must be the same roof". But what they don’t know, is that the shingle itself (or tile, shake, slate, or rubber roof) is a small portion of a successful roof replacement install. The roofing material underlay, the roofer's application principles, the type of roofing materials installed relative to the geographical area, and the way roof openings and roof flashing are done are most important.
- A roof replacement installed wrong can void your roof material manufacturer warranty.
o We attend emergency roof repair calls every week that have us informing home owners, at times with relatively new roofs, that because of the way their roof replacement was installed, not only will they continue to have problems, but over time the problems they are experiencing with roof leaks will only escalate. And worse yet, many homeowners now need to replace their roof soon, and more often than not, the material manufacturer will not honor a warranty on a misapplied roof.
- An improper roof replacement application will cause your new roof to leak.
o You may not see it or know it at first, and it may take a few seasons to show up in your home, but a misapplied roof will leak. Roof leaks can be very costly and very frustrating.
- There are ways to replace and install your new roof so it will last many, many years longer.
o A sound roof replacement installation will give you peace of mind, and will save you time and money (over the span of the roof life cycle).
- The roofing material you choose is also important. The type of roofing material and roof underlay, the roof material manufacturer itself, and the various roof flashing and flashing installation detail can affect the lifetime of your roof greatly.
- If there is in fact a wide divergence in roof installation methods when replacing a roof that profoundly affect the quality of a homeowner’s roof that result in varied degrees of life-cycle costs and peace of mind, why do so many roofing contractors accept sub standard or just standard roof application methodologies and roofing materials?
- The roofing contractor becomes frustrated. Instead of taking the time and putting forth the effort to educate the consumer about poor - good or great roof replacement, many roofing contractors succumb to the marketplace pricing pressure, and conduct business on price point or business volume and not on roof installation integrity.
We only use roofing material and we only allow roof installers to apply our roof replacements that allow us to be confident in guaranteeing our roofing workmanship for life. An unconditional lifetime workmanship guarantee is the best you can get. We have to be very confident in our re roofing installation professionals to stand behind a lifetime guarantee.
So we made the decision, that if we were going to stand behind a Lifetime Unconditional Workmanship Guarantee on Every Roof Replacement, we not only needed to put that guarantee in writing, but we also needed to be absolutely sure that our roof installers knew and unequivocally understood, that nothing less than the highest standard of roof installation and roofing material would be acceptable.
The challenge, however, is how does a roofing company with such a high standard of roof installation integrity then hire, train, nurture, develop, and hold accountable their roof installation teams to such a standard?
- We hire roof installers and labor support on character and attitude and not ability. Ability can be trained.
- We hire roofing installation managers that are known to be the best at what they do - deep in knowledge and experience.
- We remunerate in accordance to our expectation to be the best at what they do. We maintain a very competitive base pay scale and honor great roofing work with quality and performance bonuses and we maintain a company benefits plan.
- Every roof we put on a residence is inspected by a red seal inter-provincially certified roofer. We know of no other residential roof installation company that calls in a third party inspection on every residential roof installed.
- We invest in our people. Our employees are company sponsored and certified in all categories of roof application for sloped and flat roofing (or are booked to be certified if they are new to the company).
- Our roof replacement installation checklist is very detailed and to the highest acceptable roofing standard, and is checked by the foreman and installation manager on every roof.
- And perhaps most importantly, every person on your roof is results driven. Our roofing teams are results driven through a company profit sharing plan tied directly to their performance, quality, and character displayed in the field.
A roofing crew that cares about how and what they are doing - many of us consider it a lifetime craft, a roof on your home that is the best we know how to put on, and a new customer that is secured for years to come with a roof that will last and perform as it was designed - or hopefully better.
HOW TO SHINGLE A ROOF:
PART 1 - "INTRODUCTION" | A HOME OWNER'S GUIDE TO SHINGLE ROOF REPLACEMENT
PART 2 - "INSTALLING A SHINGLE ROOF TO THE HIGHEST STANDARD | A HOME OWNER'S GUIDE TO ROOF REPLACEMENT
HOW TO SHINGLE A ROOF:
PART 4 - "CHOOSING THE RIGHT SHINGLE MATERIAL" | A HOMEOWNER'S GUIDE TO ROOF REPLACEMENT
PART 5 - "SHINGLE ROOF MATERIAL WARRANTIES AND SHINGLE INSTALLER WORKMANSHIP GUARANTEES" | A HOME OWNER'S GUIDE TO ROOF REPLACEMENT
Request a FREE Mailing or Email of Parts 1 - 5 of "A HOMEOWNERS GUIDE TO SHINGLE ROOF REPLACEMENT" Click Here
Click for Roofing Shingle Material Choices for Your Roof Replacement.
Roof Replacement Calgary, Red Deer, Edmonton, Fort McMurray, Lloydminster, Saskatoon, Regina, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Canmore, Cranbrook, Kelowna, Vancouver, Whistler, Winnipeg, Toronto and points between. Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario.
Roof Replacement, Re-Roofing, Shingles, Tile, Cedar, Shakes, Slate, Metal. Roofing Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer, Fort McMurray, Lloydminster, Saskatoon, Regina, SK, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Canmore, AB, Cranbrook, Kelowna, Vancouver, Whistler, BC, Winnipeg, MB, Mississauga, Toronto, ON and points between. British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario.
Request Online Estimate
Lifetime Workmanship Guarantee
"Simply the Best"
Shingle Roof Series
Part 1 | Roof Shingles - Homeowners Roof Replacement Guide
Part 2 | Roof Shingles - How We Shingle A Roof
Part 3 | Roof Shingles - Get What You Pay for: Comparing Shingle Costs and Shingle Quotations
What Makes Our Installers Different
Choosing a Roofing Contractor
Roof Insurance Claim
Emergency Roof Repairs 877.497.3528